Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Eden Project

While we were in England, we actually got to go through a rain forest biome and a Mediterranean biome at the Eden Project. What an awesome place to take students, or science geeks like me for a field trip!! I could not believe how realistic both of the biome domes were - I actually felt like I was in the rain forest. It was extremely humid and warm. The vegetatation was growing up to the ceiling and it took about 45 minutes to walk up and over hills and stairs. From the outside looking in, it looks like the domes are large clear soccer balls clumped on top of each other. Until you walk up, you have no idea how large they actually are. The complex gets its energy from local wind turbines in order to promote the "Go Green" environmentally friendly ideas. One of my favorite exhibits was the RSA WEEE Man because he was made from old ELECTRONICS!! I saw old computer mice used as his teeth, old cell phones connected to his leg, and old vaccuums used for one of his arms. From far away, he looks like he is made from different metals pieces, but when you walk up close, you can tell how intricately he was formed. Through the Eden Project, many people have found ways to recycle and reuse materials that would otherwise be thrown in the garbage. I even saw old circuit breakers being pounded down and used as clipboards. Also, they had melted colored plastic and old yogurt containers to create coasters for a table.

No comments: