Thursday, July 3, 2008

Tech Session - Microblogging

Last week, I went to a technology session and learned about microblogging. This might be a new word to many of you, but it is actually quite a simple concept. If you are reading this blog entry right now, you are already half way there! Microblogging can be a way to communicate with friends and family in almost an indirect way. The three programs that we checked out were Twitter, Jaiju, and Pownce. Check out this video that describes Twitter. From what I have gathered, these programs are basically like status updaters. It is the concept of just having away messages posted throughout the day, but a log of them is kept so that you can look back for the past 24 hours to see what someone has been up to. As a member, it is up to you to keep your "twits" updated. Many people like the idea of these programs, but I also found that in order to keep the status updates current, one must have A LOT of time on their hands, or a job that allows them the time to be checking these programs constantly. I have a feeling that just like AIM, MySpace, and Facebook, these programs will become really popular. I don't think many people actually know too much about these programs yet because they are relatively new, but within the next couple of years, I think it will take off. During our tech session, we had a quick debriefing about how educators could utilize these types of programs in their classrooms. Here are some of the ideas that were discussed ...
  • Teachers can use these programs for study guides.
  • Teachers can get to know their students quickly at the beginning of the term.
  • Librarians can quickly post new books for students to view.
  • Parents can use these programs as a communication tool, especially for snow days.
  • Politically, students could track Obama (he actually has a long list of followers!)
  • All students can participate on a "class only" space so they can communicate with their classmates about assignments and ask their teachers questions to get quick responses.
There are obviously pros and cons to programs such as these, but as educators it might be a great tool to use in the classroom ... it's your choice!

No comments: